Monday 4 June 2012

Day 9 - the pen is mightier than the sword.

Hey, what happened to Day 8?  Oh, that... I wrote something on Day 8, but forgot to put it in the title.  And without any further ado, it's onto Day 9!


I've managed to squeeze in a bit of actual writing for the book today.  I've been doing a lot of setting-up so far, and not a lot of actual playing or writing, so to let off steam I had a blast on Barbarian: The Ultimate Warrior.


It's a game I remember fondly from the Eighties, as I used to have many a frenzied battle with a mate, hacking and slashing long into the evening.  It capitalised on the audience for Arnold Schwarzenegger's Conan the Barbarian film quite nicely, with webs of death being woven and heads flying all over the place, and even an interpretation of the film's theme music.


On second thoughts, let's see you do that with your pen.




I did enjoy playing it, but I won't go into too much detail... as with any game I play in this venture, most of my thoughts on it will end up in the book.  It was a pretty bold game for its time, though... most fighting games didn't even show injuries, let alone spurting blood and decapitation.  I'm a little surprised there wasn't more controversy, but maybe the papers hadn't yet caught on that video games were evil...


So, as a result of this, I've got down to some serious writing, and got another page under my belt. I've also done some writing of another kind... I've fired off a couple of e-mails to potential subjects.  It would be great to have their involvement, so I'll be interested to see how they respond.

No comments:

Post a Comment