Friday 29 June 2012

Day 33 - Mega-Apocalypse!

I didn't get to write a post yesterday.  I left the house to go to work at 6:45 am, and didn't get home until almost 10:30pm.  The reason I didn't get home until so late is simple... a massive thunderstorm system hit the north-east of England.


I have to say, it was awesome.  It was just like the classic storms I used to see all the time when I lived near Detroit.  I'm a bit of a weather geek and I used to love the big storms, and I've missed them since I moved back to England.  So this was great for me.


Yeah.  I was outside when that was going on.  I might be a bit mad.
I will concede that I may have made a mistake when I left work, thinking it had eased off, only to be trapped under a metal bus shelter as the full raging fury of the storm kicked in.  But even that was entertaining.  For one, there's something very refreshing and exciting about being outside in a thunderstorm.  OK, so they can be dangerous, but I felt OK where I was.  Everybody else that was under there with me, though, clearly didn't like thunderstorms.  And so I had a little laugh to myself at their Mexican Wave of terror, with everybody jumping off the seat in unison at every crack of thunder.


Unfortunately, the incredible deluge of rain flooded most of the roads in the region and caused massive delays.  So it was somewhat disappointing to get home at around 10:30pm when I'd expected to be home at six.  I was knackered by then and I hadn't had anything to eat for ten hours, so any kind of fun activities had to be knocked on the head.


My God!  It's full of stars!
But let's tie this post in with the title.  Yesterday's weather may have seemed like the end of the world, but back in 1987 there actually was a Mega-Apocalypse!  It was a follow-up to cult shooter Crazy Comets, which was itself based on obscure arcade blaster Mad Planets.  Being a big fan of Crazy Comets, I ran out to buy Mega-Apocalypse as soon as it was released, and I wasn't disappointed.  It was loud, fast and frantic, and great fun to play.


Simon Nicol wrote the Commodore 64 game, and although he isn't credited with many games, the ones he did write were all of high quality, and I'd certainly like to include them in this book.  His is a name that's on my "hit list"... I suspect he might be tricky to find, though...

No comments:

Post a Comment