Monday 2 July 2012

Day 37 - the transfer game

I love my new laptop.  The keyboard is great, and it's nice to be able to hit the 'X' button and have an 'X' appear on the screen immediately.  I can also now recondition myself to using the left shift key and the left control key... the ones on my old laptop were knackered.

Of course, the problem is that all my resources are on my old laptop, and I need to transfer them over.  I think I'll be spending a lot of today doing that.  I've got a 1TB external hard drive which you would think would be great for that kind of thing, but despite the fact I haven't used it much, I find it somewhat unreliable.  The connection keeps cutting out, which isn't ideal.

The bigger they are, the harder they fall. Die, rubbish crew droid!
Still, if I want to port across my vast libraries of old games, it's pretty much a necessary evil (unless I buy a USB to USB cable, but why do that if it's not necessary?).  I've got three days off work, but I've got other things that must be done, so we'll see how much time I get for that.

I'm going to play another transfer game too, one that I suspect a lot of people will have expected to see when they saw the title of this post.  If there's one game that's endured the last twenty-five years for me, it's Andrew Braybrook's Paradroid.  It's just such a great concept, so well executed, that I never get tired of it.  And with its various "upgrades", it's so much fun to play.

I'm on the slippery slope in this game...
I'm going to have another go at Steve Turner's Quazatron, too.  I played that a while ago and found it pretty difficult.  The change of perspective and gameplay differences make it a different beast, but one that I think might be worth sticking with.

Steve and Andrew were the brains behind Graftgold, and I'd love to include both of them in this book.  That might be easier said than done, though.  I think that Steve Turner might be a little easier to get hold of, but they're such an important part of that era that this book would be the worse off without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment